GULF COAST BRIDGE ASSOCIATION UNIT 180
MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 9, 2003
The Unit 180 Board met at the clubhouse September 9, 2003 at 5:20 p.m.
Attendees: Walter Lewis, Richard Bryant, Lynne Logan, Diane Oldham, Don Hopes, Jane Moore-Baker, Frank Battaile, Polly Bridges, Patsy Bell, Rebecca McMichael, Jim Crowe, Jack Sullivan and Elaine Norcross.
Walter Lewis, President, called the meeting to order.
Walter commended Lynne and Patsy on the very successful Life Master party. There were many positive comments.
Minutes of the August 12, 2003 were unanimously approved by a motion from Richard with a second by Polly.
The Treasurers Report was unanimously approved by a motion from Richard and a second by Elaine.
1. Directors and members should remember to turn off the air conditioner and lights in the back playing area when the room is not in use. The same should be done in the smoking area.
2. The Regional flyer is excellent. Outstanding job, Lynne!
3. Regional Committee Comments:
1. The $89 room rate is guaranteed for 2004.
2. Food numbers will be based on last years attendees.
3. Food kiosk in the lobby each day; coffee will be $1.00 with free refills if you keep the cup.
4. Ice cream social is planned for one evening.
5. Sunday lunch will be plated and served.
6. Novice/Intermediate dinner outing being planned.
7. Huggies will be given as registration gift. Welcome to Bridge on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
4. Daryl Fisher will be available to direct the Novice/Intermediate Tournament in the Spring. Walter will clear this with Charlie.
1. Patsy moved to change the time of Celebration Sundays to 1:15 p.m. with the game beginning at 2:00 p.m. Polly seconded and the motion was unanimously approved.
2. The Jason Floyd game is scheduled for November 2nd. Patsy moved to change the format to a two-session compact knockout game. Elaine seconded the motion. The motion was passed with three negative votes.
3. Jane will obtain a sanction for the Jason Floyd game. Patsy will plan the food and the game times will be adjusted.
4. Patsy will present the 2004 Calendar of Events at the October Board Meeting.
5. Nominating Committee will consist of one member from each county (Harrison, Hancock, and Jackson). Walter will contact those members the Board suggested.
6. Rebecca presented information on the Senior Olympics. She will notify the President of the Senior Olympic Board that Unit 180 will not be involved in 2004 Olympics.
7. Directors Proposals:
1. Lynne proposed to direct all unit special games for $40.00 per game with the option to play.
2. Diane proposed the unit adopt rotating directors who will volunteer their time once or twice a year for the special games.
Jane moved to table the discussion to the October meeting. Don seconded and the motion was unanimously approved.
The item will be placed on the agenda for the October 14th meeting.
8. A special recognition award is planned for the January Regional. The name of the person winning the most points during the tournament will be engraved on the award. This will be an annual award.
Walter appointed himself, Rebecca and Jerry Grissom to the committee.
Jack moved to adjourn the meeting and Jim seconded.
Meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m.